Sunday, November 6, 2011

6 November 2011

The last infusion (#4) was interesting - by the time we left the hospital, my RA symptoms had totally disappeared.  I don't know which of the drugs is doing the magic.  I hope it is the Avastin (Bevacizamab) because that will be the maintenance drug after the 6th infusion, which should be December 2. Today is day #16 and so far the RA is not as bad as it was this day with cycle #3.  I suppose that is part of the cumulative factor.

I did experience one more side effect with this last infusion.  Beginning Monday after the infusion, I was very fatigued and had absolutely no energy.  That existed all week, through Sunday.  When I woke up Monday morning, both symptoms were completely gone and I have not been unduly tired and have had plenty of energy.  I suppose, as this is cumulative, this will be the pattern for the next two infusions.  I don't fight it - simply go with it - take naps and don't try to do too much that week.

The other side effect that bothers me is the sinus congestion.  There are times when I have to choose between chewing or breathing.  It isn't fun.  At the last Dr.'s visit (the day of infusion) I mentioned this to the Dr. and was told I could take Sudafed PE, Sudafed or Allegra.  When I talked with my oncology nurse on Friday, she said I should NOT be taking any of those because they raise my blood pressure and the Avastin raises it.  If I am over the line, they can't give me the chemo, so I am following her advise and taking Advil Congestion Relief.  That does seem to be working and I can take it every four hours, if necessary.  The important factor is that is doesn't raise my BP.  So, I take one before going to bed and have one available if I wake up congested in the middle of the night.  It is a little frustrating that the Dr. tells me one thing, the oncology nurse another.  I do wish they would communicate together and present a united front.

When I had my labs done last Thursday, I was still on Sudafed (Sudafed PE didn't work very well), so I think that accounts for my BP being a little high this week - more like 146/84.  I will find out this next week.

The side effect I noticed last cycle - blurred vision - is still with me.  If I am on the computer for too long, or work y needlework too intensely, or even read, my eyes get so tired and sometimes that gives me a headache behind my eyes.  When I notice that happening, I stop whatever I am doing and look out the window as far into the distance as I can to relax my eyes.

We are in a winter storm pattern - two a week.  However, it does look like this next one will miss us, going south of us.  If there is forecast of snow for the day we go to Aurora for the infusion, we will opt to go down the day before and stay at the hotel across the street.  That way, my infusion will not be delayed.  I am so looking forward to #6 being done, although I have tolerated the chemo much better than I had any reason to expect.

My hair, by the way, is coming in thick and curly.  It is easy to style and I really think I will keep it shorter than I did before surgery.  It is just so easy to take care of and all my friends say they really like it short.

1 comment:

  1. shirley Hill bear chat friend spfargoNovember 7, 2011 at 4:57 PM

    Hi Betsy what a great report, seems all is going good. I enjoy reading your updates as you know my daughter Vicki is in chemo too with side effects.... Love your positive attitude, Keep it up!!!! No snow here here yet in North Dakota, but we know its only a matter of time,

    ReplyDelete