Wednesday, December 7, 2011

7 December 2011

Thought I'd bring you up to date on my chemo.
I went down for my 6th and final infusion yesterday and expected to be done. However, two of the chemo drugs I am on prevent blood vessel formation (that's usually a good thing!). Yesterday, that was decided not to be a good thing because I have GI bleeding, a very common reaction to those drugs I am on. Dr. decided to hold off the last infusion (even though my blood counts were just fine - incredulously)! To give my GI tract time to heal (probable cause - hemorrhoids) the final infusion was delayed until a week from Friday. I should still be fine for Christmas, even with a few days out for being very tired and lethargic.

Tomorrow I have a sygmoidoscopy to determine what is going on and a week from Friday, assuming all goes as planned, I will receive my last infusion. As long as I can get this done before the new year, I'm happy. And I agree with the Dr.'s assessment that gives my body time to repair this last wrinkle. Actually, this is the only wrinkle I have had during the whole chemo and I can take it. So I am not too disappointed.
The internal exam was more complete yesterday, of course, and my Dr. is very pleased.  There is absolutely no sign of any active cancer.  He assured me that, in his opinion, my GI bleeding is nothing more than hemorrhoids and I just need a few days to heal them.

I agree with his assessment and am only a little disappointed.  This is but a small wrinkle in my chemo road.  I have not had any real serious side effects or problems during my whole trip with this and not concerned about the delay.  For me to close this book, I merely want to be done with it during the calendar year 2011.  I want 2012 to be a fresh, new year!

Thank you all for your support through this.  I am confident that all will continue to go well.

One of the things that I WAS going to discuss with my Dr yesterday was that I was experiencing some anxiety about ending the medicine that has saved my life.  When you are put on medicine that is that serious, it is a little difficult to think of not getting it, even though I, of course, don't want to stay on chemo!  Someone I was talking to said I might try thinking of it like anyone does about, for example, antibiotics.  When you take that last pill over whatever length of time, it is because it has done its job and you don't need it any longer.  So, I am trying to think of this as a chapter in my life where I have received the medicine I needed and am now well.  My Dr. and I never got around to this discussion!

My Dr. said he was absolutely delighted with my progress throughout this chemo and was actually surprised that my blood counts were right where they should be, even with this GI bleeding.  He was incredulous about that!  There was no indication with any of my blood work that I was experiencing any difficulty.  He is not at all concerned about this GI bleeding - just wants to give me time to heal.  And he is not concerned in the least about the delay in the 6th and final infusion.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Betsy, a really good report, just a little bump in the road... I know its a little disapointing, but you can see the light at the end of the road!! You are amazing to have fought this like a tropper!!!
    Merry Christmas to you and your family... Lots to be thankful for. (spargo) on bear chat

    ReplyDelete