Friday, September 16, 2011

16 September 2011

I have mentioned before that this whole process is something I can never get away from.  This came home to roost yesterday.  As usual, I went in for lab work and BP.  No problem.  My BP was 128/60, heart rate 74.  My lab work was fine with white blood cells a little low which is completely to be expected in week two of this second cycle.  I talked with Sid, my GYN oncology nurse at Anschutz and she told me I would need to have another CAT scan with contrast.  This alarmed me but she said because I am in the trial, they have to follow the 'formula' and another CAT scan is called for after every three infusions.  I don't like this - it is a lot of exposure to x-rays and more often than I want.  I have to accept that but then she went on to say that they would be specifically looking at two lymph nodes in my abdomen that were larger than normal in the previous scan.  This sent me into overload and I had a miserable night.  I decided to call her back this morning and talk with her about it because we were very upset.  I told her I thought I was CLEAR and she said I am.  She apologized for upsetting me and went through it again.  I said I guess I was over thinking this and she said, "You are but I can understand your concern."  She will tell Dr. Behbakht (pronounced BAY' bachd) about her comment, upsetting me and my concern over them. She ended by saying she should not have even mentioned it - that the only reason they are even aware of them is that I am in the study - otherwise, they wouldn't be concerned about them at all.

I feel better after talking with her this morning and am trying to put it on the shelf where it belongs.  It is amazing how a small comment can cause such a big reaction.  Being sleep-deprived this morning didn't help my reaction.  I think both of us will be looking for those lymph nodes to have shrunk in the next CAT scan October 11.  Her explanation is that there is a good possibility that they were enlarged due to inflammation from the surgery.  Hope she is right.

This is a roller coaster!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Betsy, I completely understand your concern. After every one of my appointments with my oncologist I go over (in my head) every word she said. By the end of the day, I'm worried about one thing or another.

    I also understand how you feel about having all the CT scans. I've had 15 of them in the past 6 years...I'm sure I would glow under a black light. We've finally stopped my annual scans until I have a sign that I need another one.

    It's all just a new way of life. You'll be thinking about those lymph nodes until after the next scan. And waiting for those results will be very stressful. Hopefully the doctor will clarify things when you see her the next time and that will ease your mind even more.

    You're doing great. I'm finally catching up on your blog here. Hang in there and keep up the good work!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete