Thursday, September 1, 2011

#2 Infusion - part A

I am saying part A because every Thursday I have to have labs and BP done in order to see IF I can go ahead with the infusion tomorrow.  My BP this morning was 126/70 and heart rate 60.  I don't know what the blood work shows yet, but am confident that they are okay.  I had been concerned earlier this week because I thought my BP was running high.  We have just bought a blood pressure monitor and it was showing very high BP on me.  When I saw the triage nurse this morning she suggested that it might be faulty since my pressure this morning was so good.  I will take it in with me next week and try to calibrate it with what she gets.  So...needless worry on my part.

I have been thinking about a lot of things lately.  Dave has gone back to working at the "Y".  Last week he worked five days and the one day he didn't work, we had to take the car in for servicing.  I was feeling resentful that he was gone so much, leaving me here alone.  I think I understand now why I had those feelings.  I don't mind his being gone (goodness, he worked outside the home for xx years and was gone every weekday.  I was on my own for years and years, taking are of errands and children, working myself and running my store).  I think it comes down to the fact that he can 'get away' from my illness.  I know he doesn't 100% but he is busy there and doesn't have to see me with no wig on or look at me and wonder how I am feeling.  He can escape, if only for a few hours.  I can't!  It is with me every minute of every day.  There is no 'getting away' for me.  I look forward to being DONE with this chemo so that I can enjoy that 'very low risk of recurrence' the Fort Collins tumor board reported on my case.

I have no idea how I will react to tomorrow's infusion.  I do know, based on the first infusion that the IV Benadryl will be cut in half.  I sure hope that takes care of my reaction to it.  My appointment is at 9:30 for the lab work, which means gaining access to the Power Port.  Then I see the Dr. at 10:30 and begin the infusion after that.  Being a private person, I don't look forward to the pelvic exam each and every time.  I know it's necessary but I don't have to like it.

It turns out that I needn't have gone in for lab work today.  Because my appointment is tomorrow, I can skip the third week of lab work up here.  That's good, but I wasn't told until after I had had it done.  No harm done...just didn't need it.  Of course, I had to go in for my BP anyway so it's no biggie.  That's fewer labs I will need tomorrow.









No comments:

Post a Comment