Friday, September 30, 2011

#3 Infusion 30 September 2011

I had my 3rd infusion today.  The lab work was excellent - all prep work = great!  Dr. Behbackt said again how pleased he is that I am in THIS arm of the clinical trial.  He is extremely pleased that I am having so few side effects.  I showed him my buzz cut 'do', cut six weeks ago and asked him when would I lose my hair.  He told me that if I had not lost it by now, I would PROBABLY NOT LOSE IT AT ALL!!!!  I can't tell you how pleased I am about that news.  I also asked him about the CAT (not PET) scan with contrast and my concern about the two lymph nodes picked up in the scan just before my first infusion  He told me he was NOT concerned about them and expected to find NOTHING!!!!  I have to have the scan as part of requirements for the trial - one after every 3rd infusion.

They kept to their original pre-med regime of giving me only half the Benedryl - 25 mg.  I was told it is the Benedryl that gives me the cotton mouth.  Thank you, Bill, for the suggestion of lemon drops.  That should stimulate saliva and reduce the effect of the Benedryl.

I followed up on a suggestion of Judy's to keep track of the side effects on a day-to-day basis in chart form.  I gave the Dr. a copy of this last infusion side effects.  His said he wished every patient would do this.  And that he would like to have a copy of it to give to every patient under his care.  I am thrilled.  He said he had no questions about the effects since the last infusion because he could see it all.  I am going to tweak it a bit to 'clean' it up and send him a copy he can copy.

All in all, it was a terrific day!  I was not nervous about the infusion - it went very well.  The bevacizumab (Avastin) was given over 1 1/2 hours last infusion.  Today, over 1 hour and starting next infusion, over 1/2 hour and it will remain 1/2 hour from then on.  I am not having any ill effects or allergic reaction.

I should have decent hair length by Thanksgiving or Christmas!  Hallelujah!

I think I have something to be very thankful for this year.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, you do have a lot to be thankful for this year! And I am SOOO glad you are doing so well!! I've thought of you often, but I've been very busy here. You can call me this afternoon if you'd like - I should be home.

    HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betsy, you are a marvel--it is so good that you are in this Trial and your experience is providing resources for other patients, too!

    ReplyDelete