Saturday, September 3, 2011

Infusion #2 - Part B

We went in yesterday for the #2 Infusion.  Everything went extremely well.  They halved the IV Benadryl and I had absolutely no problem at all.  Instead of 50 mg, I received 25 mg.  Now we know that is the right amount for me.  I asked about not getting it at all, but they don't want to eliminate it altogether.  It will help me NOT have an anaphylactic shock or allergic reaction to the chemo drugs.  The whole infusion took nearly 5 hours.  The pre-meds are given and then I have to wait for one hour before starting the treatments.  Ixebepilone was given first (took one hour); then the carboplatin (another hour); then the bevacizumab (Avastin) for 1 1/2 hours.  With the next infusion, that biologic bevacizumab will be given over one hour; from then on over 30 minutes.

I felt well enough that we drove into Boulder and went to dinner.  On the way, we were in the most torrential downpour I have seen since living in New Jersey.  For about 1/2 hour we were hit with rain and hail, with standing water on the road.  We didn't dare pull over and stop because the visibility was virtually zero.  When we pulled out of it driving west, we had beautiful blue sky.  What a trip.  We drove Judy back to her car and did a little shopping in Longmont before getting home about 9:00 pm.  That made for a very long day.

The great thing is that so far I am doing fine and not experiencing the worst part of getting chemo.  Although I am tired today, I don't feel it is chemo tired - it is being in the fresh air and steering the sailboat tired.  I think I will sleep very well tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Great description: "being in the fresh air and steering the sailboat tired." !

    ReplyDelete