Saturday, August 13, 2011

Background of Discovery

I was shocked to discover on Mother's Day  that I had uterine cancer (how's that for irony?).  On May 31 I had a total hysterectomy.  In a lot of ways I have very lucky.  First of all, I did not ignore the initial symptoms.  Along with all the female organs removed, I also had 48 lymph nodes removed.  They were clear of any cancer.  There was a 1 mm invasion on the omentum.

In researching possible clinical trials appropriate for me, I was most interested in either Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN or M. D. Anderson, Houston TX.  I had a patient navigator from the hospital where I had the surgery who found what we hoped would be the perfect clinical trial for me.  My oncologist in Fort Collins, CO looked it over and thoroughly endorsed it.  I also have a cousin who is an oncology radiologist at DuPage Medical Group in Illinois.  She also endorsed this particular clinical trial.  I was put in touch with Colorado University, Anschutz Cancer Center in Aurora, CO and enrolled in the clinical trial.  In order to be enrolled I had to be off my medicine for rheumatoid arthritis for four weeks.

I have never been so completely documented!  All the initial tests (PET scan, blood work, mammogram, ultra sound, CAT scan) show there is no active cancer - so no macro cells.  The one item that made me eligible for the clinical trial was that 1 mm invasion on the omentum.

The plan randomized me into Arm 3 of the clinical trial. This is a Phase II trial.  I will be on Ixabepilone, Carboplatin and Bevacizumab (Avastin). All who are in the know say this is the perfect arm to be in.  My oncologist at Anschutz told me yesterday this is the one he wanted to see me in.  I will have six infusions, three weeks apart.  After the initial chemo treatment, I will stay on the Avastin indefinitely, receiving that infusion once every three weeks.

I had my first infusion yesterday.  I was given premeds to help have no reaction to the chemo drugs.  Unfortunately I had one reaction considered rare.  One of the premeds was IV Benadryl.  That usually knocks people out.  Unfortunately, it gave me restless leg syndrome for over three hours.  The Ativan given to counteract the Benadryl took forever to take affect.  I thought I was going to climb the walls!!!

I have had no adverse reaction to the chemo as of today.  In fact I woke up this morning with the realization that the symptoms of RA were not there.  No pain in my knees, wrists, thumbs, elbows or shoulders!!!

I will lose my hair - something that bothers me tremendously.  I know it will grow back but it is so hard to come to grips with the fact that although I feel well and there is no active cancer in me at the moment, I will be sick, fatigued and bald due to the drugs I have to take to make me permanently better.  I have made the decision to have my hair cut off next Friday.  My daughter and I are going to make an afternoon of spa!  I will be having my hair cut off, a facial, hand waxing, manicure and pedicure!  She will join me in the spa items and have a haircut (not off).  Despite my granddaughter thinking I should get a pink and purple wig, I found one that is my color and similar to my style.  I will take the wig with me to see if it can be styled more closely to my hair before it is cut off.

A word here about the support I have.  I have the best family in the whole world.  They are a tremendous support for me, encouraging me, hugging me when I need it.  My husband is awesome and I have renamed him my CHEMO-SABE (remember The Lone Ranger from the 50s?).

I encourage you who are going through chemo for uterine cancer or have gone through it, to comment and post.  I welcome suggestions of what to eat, how to deal with the side effects, etc.  Become part of my support through this.

Thank you,
Betsy

3 comments:

  1. Understanding the problem is the best way to begin to defeat it.

    All the best
    Georgia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wondering how you are doing. Hope to hear from you.
    Georgia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm liking Vivian's pink and purple idea for the wig, however!

    ReplyDelete