Saturday, August 20, 2011

Hair

I know all the arguments for WHY there is hair loss during chemotherapy - the chemo kills all the fast growing cells which include the cancer cells AND hair cells.  That does not eliminate the horror of knowing that the hair loss is totally unfeminine (to me), totally unwarranted from a personal point of view and totally unavoidable.  It is demoralizing and an insult to an otherwise very difficult process.  I could not have done the cutting yesterday without the moral support of my daughter, Judy.  She is a terrific source of strength.  The women at the spa were aware, of course, why I was sitting there and not JUST getting a haircut.  They were all kind, understanding and not overly solicitous.  If they had been I'm afraid the few tears shed would have been a full blown meltdown.  As it was, I survived it much better than I thought I would.  I still am shocked when I suddenly see myself in the mirror, but suppose I will get used to it.  At least I don't have lumps and bumps - phrenology would have a very difficult getting any results on my head.

And I had them trim and style the wig a little.  I left wearing the wig.  When I got to Judy's house, I was interested in the grandchildren's take on it.  Vivian was very matter-of-fact and said I looked like Baya - and off she ran.  When Sid came in, I was intrigued with his assessment.  He stood by the door, crossed his arms over his chest and cocked his head from side to side, sizing up the overall effect.  He then announced, "It looks like you, Baya, and the color is right!"  So there!!!  Rather a good observer, I think.

The gal who cut my hair off refused to charge me.  It's a very kind thing for her to have done.  One of the other gals there had watched my hair come off, realized why and came over to tell me  that she specialized in make-up and had worked with several cancer women and would love to give me an hour - again at no cost.  I will do that...and tip her very well.  That is a wonderful spa to have available to me.

Tonight was my first 'outing' to test my wig's reception.  As a graduated 'Newcomers' a friend and I established the "After Five" group for Wine and Cheese.  It was held in the Rocky Mountain National Park tonight from 5-7 and was a good experience.  My wig passed with glowing colors!

When I am at home, I don't wear the wig very much.  I have a cap that is navy blue that feels a whole lot more comfortable.  I do have to be careful of not getting sunburned so am being more diligent about sitting in shade.  Dave accepts the baldness with ease and told me this morning, I have a very good looking head.  I'll take that!

I continue to feel well and think I will for the next two weeks.  2nd Infusion = September 2.

Bald head is the new norm - for awhile.  I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes back in.  I will NOT take a picture without the wig or cap on.

1 comment:

  1. I resonate with the sunburn issues! And good job, Viv and Sid!

    ReplyDelete